Under the microscope – an in depth look at superannuation death benefitsEvent Date: March 27, 2018
Time: 5.00pm for a 5.30pm start
Location: Madgwicks – Level 6, 140 William Street, Melbourne
Inclusions: Drinks and canapes included
The introduction of the transfer balance cap and the ATO’s recent views on cashing superannuation death benefits has required advisers to revise the strategies around the payment of superannuation death benefits.
Rebecca James, Special Counsel will consider the impact of the superannuation changes on the payment of death benefits and planning opportunities, including:
- ATO’s latest views on cashing death benefits
- Interaction between the $1.6 million transfer balance cap and payment of death benefits
- Treatment of reversionary pensions on death
- What is required to ensure the pension is in fact reversionary
- Differences between account-based and transition to retirement pensions on death
- What happens to capped defined benefit income streams, such as market linked pensions, on death.
Join us as we work through the practical implications of paying superannuation death benefits in a post transfer balance cap world.
Please feel free to extend this invitation to your colleagues and contacts.
About the Speaker
Rebecca James – Special Counsel
Rebecca is an experienced commercial lawyer with specialisations in superannuation, funds management and private wealth management. She also has tax and structuring advice experience within the superannuation context and supports various practice areas with high level advice, including workplace relations and tax.