We ‘get’ sport. We get the emotional highs and lows that go with it, the complications and demands that accompany the lifestyle, the need to be understood and supported, and the desire to pursue a dream that often goes against all odds.
Our firm regularly acts for clients such as Cricket Australia, the AFL and high-profile athletes. The Lead Partner in our Sports Law Group is David Galbally AM QC who has over 35 years of experience in representing organisations and athletes in the sports industry.
David is supported by an experienced team of inter-disciplinary lawyers who have a great depth of knowledge and involvement across a wide range of sporting codes including the AFL, athletics, cycling, triathlons, soccer, basketball, netball and a wide range of sports associated with the Olympic and Commonwealth Games and World Championships.
We assist sporting bodies, clubs and individual athletes on a full range of legal issues including:
- Property – leasing and licencing, building and construction, facilities management
- Employment – employment contracts, transfers and restraints of trade, redundancies and termination, contractor agreements
- Commercial – drafting and negotiating commercial agreements including sports agents contracts, sponsorship agreements, media rights, sale and acquisition of businesses, general commercial advice
- Litigation – disputes and disciplinary matters, disciplinary hearings and tribunals, commercial disputes, advice and support in performance enhancing and illicit drugs matters
- Governance – obligations and directors’ duties, club and competition structure and restructures, risk and compliance advice, compliance with sporting body laws, corporate governance practices
- Accessibility and Inclusion – discrimination issues, facilities management, governance and board obligations
- Intellectual Property – intellectual property licensing, trade mark applications, protections and infringements and objections, dispute advice,
- Athletes – selection disputes, disciplinary hearings and tribunals, defamation, sponsorship agreements, athlete management
We’re more than just your lawyers. We get your sport. And we get you. We’ve seen the sacrifices that have been made and we’re as passionate about helping you as you are about competing.
This isn’t just ‘sport’, it’s your life. Do you need advice from a team who’s been helping sporting bodies, clubs and athletes for decades? Do you need someone who appreciates that it’s your reputation on the line? Do you need someone who has a sense of urgency – because everything in sport is so public? If so, then you need to give us a call.