Catherine Ballantyne Special Counsel
Catherine Ballantyne advises across a broad range of industries including finance and professional services in relation to insolvency, dispute resolution and litigation.
She regularly advises both liquidators and individuals on all aspects of insolvency, including insolvent trading, phoenix activity, trusts, the Personal Property Securities Act, tracing claims, priorities and adjudicating on proofs of debt.
Her experience also includes assisting clients with Court proceedings including liquidators’ examinations, preference actions, uncommercial transaction cases and winding up and bankruptcy proceedings.
She is highly skilled in advising clients on their options and insolvency strategy under both the Bankruptcy Act (personal insolvency) and Corporations Act (corporate insolvency).
Catherine’s experience in commercial disputes and litigation is broad, covering a range of contract, director and general business disputes, property and planning disputes and defamation. She regularly works with Counsel and appears on behalf of clients in proceedings in all Victorian State and Federal Courts.
Catherine’s Madgwicks Moment: As a litigator, that triumphant feeling you get when, after several years of hard work, you get a ‘win’ on a big case: the client’s happy, the firm’s happy, and you have the satisfaction of knowing that your efforts and commitment have paid off in the end!
Insolvency and reconstruction
- Public examinations
- Unfair preference claims
- Uncommercial transaction claims
- Insolvent trading claims, inc ASIC and ASFA notifications
- Breach of directors duties
- Director penalty notices
- Bankruptcy advice (trustees, creditors and bankrupts).
- Bankruptcy disputes, including petition and sale of assets.
- Advising creditors, directors and shareholders in relation to the insolvency process including attending creditors meetings, proofs of debt, advising regarding potential liability and any potential claims
- Personal reconstruction, including personal insolvency agreements
- Company reconstruction, including deeds of company arrangement
- Advising liquidators in relation to all aspects of liquidations including potential claims, the Personal Property and Securities Act and whether to admit proofs of debt.
- Partnership and shareholder disputes
- Contractual disputes
- Franchising disputes
- Misleading and deceptive conduct claims
- Banking and finance disputes, inc debt recovery
- Property and planning disputes