Charles Thompson Senior Associate
Charles joined the Commercial team at Madgwicks in March 2014. Prior to this he worked as a corporate/commercial lawyer for a leading law firm in New Zealand.
Charles has advised on a broad range of corporate and commercial related matters, including large and small size mergers and acquisitions, as well as financing arrangements.
His clients include large proprietary companies, small to medium companies, high-net worth individuals and trusts.
Charles’ experience includes:
- Reviewing and drafting commercial contracts
- Advising on the sale and purchase of businesses
- Establishing companies and advising on structuring, asset protection and corporate governance
- Establishing and advising on discretionary and unit trusts
- Reviewing and drafting loan documentation and security arrangements
- Agreements for sale and purchase of shares
- Shareholder and unitholder agreements
- Advising in relation to directors’ duties and shareholders’ rights
- Carrying out legal research and ensuring clients’ compliance with the latest legislation and case law
- Anti-money laundering and counter terrorism finance compliance
- Privacy law compliance
As part of his double degree, Charles also studied a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Politics and Economics. Sport is his passion and has given him a competitive edge and practical approach.
Overall, his positive attitude, eye for detail and personable manner serve him well when engaging with clients and ensuring services are provided to a high standard.