Ed Browne Partner
A pragmatic business specialist with expertise in multigenerational family businesses, franchises, retirement villages, and caravan and holiday parks, Ed is an integral aspect of many of his client’s companies as their trusted adviser providing tailored, strategic solutions for their business.
Admitted to practice in both Victoria and South Africa, Ed works with business owners, boards of directors and executives in a strategic capacity to advise on significant projects and commercial decisions, including mergers and acquisitions, new ventures, market entry/exits and structuring and restructuring, as well as day-to-day business activities and agreements.
He also has extensive experience working with multigenerational family businesses and multifamily groups which have their own unique complexities and challenges.
Ed is extremely well regarded for his ability to advise on business strategy, and then work closely with an advisory team to manage the process and implement what is required to effectively achieve the desired outcome.
Ed’s clients range from service providers in IT, aged care, financial services, hospitality and marketing to construction contractors, technology companies and manufacturers. Ed is the General Counsel and Company Secretary of the Caravan Industry Association of Australia Ltd.
Key focus areas:
- Business structuring & restructuring
- Shareholder, unitholder and partnership agreements and disputes
- Supply contracts
- Distribution and licensing agreements – local and international
- Family business, including succession planning
- Corporate governance
- Business sales and acquisitions
- Due diligence
- Acting for continuing partners in negotiating dissolution of partnership business operating in the building and construction industry (business value $15 million).
- Advising foreign company on establishment of joint venture with Australian business providing services in infrastructure sector.
- Advising service provider on management agreements for aged care and retirement village business including negotiating long term equity incentive scheme (deal value $25 million).
- Advising family group on dealing with holdings in long running family business, including assisting to resolve disputes between stakeholders without litigation (business value $12 million).
- Advising on and establishing business structures for the acquisition of aged care businesses by investor group, including management and unitholder agreements.
- Advising a foreign company on acquisition of Australian Biotech firm by way of share purchase (deal value $7.5 million).
- Advising on acquisitions of aged care businesses including business assets and real property.
- Advising on sales of Hotel and Caravan Park business.