John Caridakis Partner
An award winning commercial litigation lawyer with qualifications in innovation and entrepreneurship, John is a highly respected and trusted partner making an impact in the Melbourne legal landscape.
John has extensive experience representing commercial clients in litigious matters and disputes relating to property, contracts, lending and mortgages, professional negligence claims, trade practices and shareholder oppression.
He has particular expertise with advising clients in relation to commercial construction and domestic building disputes, including acting for owners, builders and consultants. He also regularly acts for and against external administrators in construction matters, and litigation/adjudication under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment legislation.
John has also worked on a broad range of complex insolvency and corporate reconstruction matters, including acting for liquidators, administrators, receivers, private companies and directors.
John’s work on a highly complex three way merger worth $686 million was recognised in 2018 when he was awarded the prestigious Deal of the Year Award at the Victorian Legal Awards. John has also completed a Graduate Certificate in Innovation and Entrepreneurship (GC In&Ent) at Adelaide University via Pitcher Partners.
Key focus areas:
- Corporate insolvency and reconstruction
- Personal insolvency and reconstruction
- Commercial litigation
- Commercial construction
- Security of payment
- Domestic building
- Property development
- Property finance and lending
- Acting for a prominent civil works contractor in a dispute concerning works in a 7 stage subdivision, including negotiating further construction contracts, mortgage and charge security for the civil works contractor over the developer and priority arrangements to afford the civil contractor’s securities first ranking priority.
- Acting for a property developer in negotiations and restructuring of distressed debt held by the first ranking secured creditor over development land awaiting staged subdivision and securing mezzanine funding for the continuation of the development.
- Acting in a shareholder oppression dispute for a shareholder in an entertainment company in relation to concerns about the dissipation of company funds, including successfully obtaining orders from the Supreme Court for the appointment of a provisional liquidator to take control of the company.
- Acting for a real estate agent in a dispute with an international developer in relation to outstanding commission (in excess of $4 million) and breaches of the exclusivity obligations under a marketing services agreement.
- Acting for and advising the administrator of a company in the aged care industry, on all aspects of its administration, including tracing of company funds into real estate owned and controlled by related entities.
- Acting for a property developer constructing a five story apartment building in a dispute with an unsuccessful tendering contractor where contractual negotiations led the disappointed contractor to make substantial claims in connection with alleged pre-contractual works.