Marina Papas Partner
A strategic thinker with an innovative, global outlook, Marina leads the Madgwicks Corporate team. Fluent in Greek and highly experienced in providing strategic corporate advice that results in successful outcomes as well as recognising and opening opportunities for her high-profile clients, Marina’s team’s expertise was recognised though the receipt of the Deal of the Year Award at the 2018 Victorian Legal Awards.
Commercially savvy and possessing more than 20 years of experience in providing general corporate and commercial advice, Marina has worked on major business divestments and acquisitions for vendors and purchasers, managed and conducted complex legal due diligence projects, negotiated and prepared a diverse range of commercial agreements, and implemented complex legal structures.
Additionally, Marina provides advice on compliance, corporate governance, commercial contracts and business succession issues. She also has experience in assisting overseas companies to establish a business presence in Australia whether through acquisition, merger or as independent operators.
Marina is recognised for her willingness and ability to foster longstanding client and referral relationships. She works closely with her clients’ management teams, often contributing to overall business strategy and giving her the ability to appreciate the commercial objectives that her clients seek to achieve.
Marina’s clients include large and mid-cap sized private companies, public financial services institutions, accounting practices, other professional services firms, and high net worth individuals in Australia and overseas.
Key focus areas:
- Mergers, Acquisitions & Divestments
- Due Diligence
- Corporate Governance
- Commercial Contracts
- Acting for a New York Stock Exchange listed public financial services institution on the strategic acquisition of a financial services software development company with subsidiaries in several foreign jurisdictions, involving due diligence, extensive negotiation and documentation, and post purchase structuring for the Australian subsidiary.
- Acting for a multi-national overseas entity in the establishment of an Australian subsidiary in the technology industry
- Acting for a privately owned group of companies in the security systems industry to negotiate the sale of their respective businesses in the context of pending litigation.
- Advising a global education provider on the potential purchase of overseas schools in an insolvency context.
- Acting for New South Wales-based business to merge with established wholesale and retail player in the agribusiness industry including the restructuring of the current business to prepare for merger, negotiation and preparation of merger contracts and negotiation of joint venture arrangements to protect minority interest holding.
- Acting for an Australian steel distributor in negotiations with an overseas joint venture partner to manage and complete the purchase of a national competitor.
- Acting for the purchaser in the acquisition of a renowned Australian licensed hotel and gaming venue.
- Preparing and advising on separation of a business partnership to take account of shared information technology systems and licences.
- Providing general commercial advice to clients in the sports technology industry arising from alliance with Australian Sports Technologies Network Limited.
- Tailoring distribution and supply agreements for the licencing of sports technology-related products (including the protection of associated intellectual property rights) overseas.
- Advising locally based business to allow for asset protection measures and future expansion of business operations overseas with international joint venture partner including structuring for tax-related considerations and protection of brand names.
- Tailoring and/or standardising agreements used by foreign publicly listed parent entities of local subsidiaries to comply with Australian law.