Peter Hammond Partner
With more than 30 years of experience across three of Melbourne’s largest law firms and a reputation for extreme attention to detail, Peter is a trusted advisor to his large network of clients and a vital member of their businesses.
Peter is admitted to practice in the Federal and High Court of Australia as well as Victoria, New South Wales, Western Australia and Queensland. His highly analytical mind and attention to detail with the ability to plan and foresee future problems and opportunities has made Peter an indispensable ally when dealing with complex issues. Peter’s work on a highly complex three way merger worth $686 million was recognised when the deal won the prestigious Deal of the Year Award at the 2018 Victorian Legal Awards.
Peter has wide experience of a significant variety of corporate and financing transactions including sale of business or shares; acting for corporate borrowers; contractual and partnership disputes; structured finance; distribution, supply and shareholder agreements; as well as experience in respect of extradition. He has a particular expertise in work related to the Personal Property Securities Act (PPSA), and has been involved in a number of insolvencies and court proceedings in this regard.
Dealing in all facets of corporate and commercial law, his experience includes advising a broad range of clients in both the private and public sectors. Peter often collaborates with taxation specialists to develop appropriate strategies well before transactions occur to ensure the best possible outcome.
Key focus areas:
- Corporations Act and relevant procedures
- Acting for Vendor or Purchaser in respect of sale of business or shares
- Acting for Corporate Borrowers
- Contractual disputes
- PPSA Issues
- Research & Development Structured Finance
- Distribution Agreements
- Supply Agreements
- Shareholder Agreements
- Partnership Disputes
- Acting for a number of vendors in relation to sales of significant businesses including issues concerning structure of transaction of many different forms, going concerns, restraints and share swaps.
- Acting for a large Australian company in respect of its borrowing arrangements and group restructure.
- Acting for liquidators or administrators in assessment of claims under PPSA including court proceedings.
- Acting for suppliers in respect of reservation of title claims under PPSA.
- Acting for different parties (often minorities) in respect of shareholder agreements and joint ventures.