James’ composed attitude and strategic outlook on leasing, property development and commercial law matters has resulted in a loyal client base appreciative of the hassle-free outcomes he achieves.
James practices in the areas of commercial property and leasing, property development and commercial law with particular specialisations in developments, property syndications/ structuring, leasing, property litigation and joint ventures and other commercial agreements.
His ability to see the commercial impact of decisions and issues and his experience in both commercial and property law ensures he is a trusted adviser to his clients and plays an important guiding role within their business at large.
James’ experience includes acting for a large national logistics company on a number of property matters as well as on general commercial matters such as supply chain and distribution contracts. Additionally James has acted for the land owner and developer of a market leading hardware retailer on their first inner city, multi storey development.
James represents a diverse range of clients which have included high net worth private individuals and family businesses to some of the largest corporations in the country. James has also acted for a number of government and statutory authorities including Melbourne City Council and the ATO.
James’ extensive expertise extends to the following areas:
Each year we transact multi million dollars worth of sales and acquisitions in the residential, commercial, hotel, industrial and farming areas. This is undertaken on behalf of public and private corporations. Some of the clients James has represented recently in this area include: APN Industria REIT, Conga Foods Pty Ltd, and Nightingale Housing Limited.
James will advise on and handle the complex negotiations that are often involved in these matters, bringing many years of experience to the table which ensures all technical, commercial and tax considerations are properly dealt with for his clients.
James will advise on the structure utilised in many sales and acquisitions including terms contracts, fund through arrangements and lease back arrangements.
James represents private and public corporations in a range of built form and subdivisional land developments. Some of the developments and projects that James has overseen include:
Built Form Developments
- Tiara residential tower on Southbank
- Verge residential tower on Southbank
- Commercial Clayton Development (MAB)
- Richmond Icon, Dimmeys Development, Richmond
- Hallmarc, Highett Development
- Bensons, Chronicle Apartments, Armadale
- Nightingale Housing, various residential apartment developments;
- NOCO Apartments, Northcote
- Immerse Apartments, Richmond
- Saltwater Coast, Point Cook (AVEO)
- Waterford Development, Melton (Waterford)
- Bloom and New Bloom (Clyde)
- Grace Development, Tarneit (Tarneit Projects)
- Panorama, Geelong
James will oversee the project, from the initial land acquisition or development documentation, through to the sale and settlement of the last lot in the project.
James has a breadth of expertise in all of the matters that will typically arise in this type of project work, including:
- Overseeing his team in the handling of high volume off-the-plan sales and contract administration;
- Advising on property syndication, development and project management agreements;
- Advising on and implementing project finance, including security and mezzanine debt financing arrangements;
- In conjunction with the firm’s tax partners, advising on the project’s tax consequences and implications for the client, in particular, Capital Gains Tax, GST, stamp duty and land tax issues.
Examples of our clients and the type of work undertaken include:
- Northcote Plaza Shopping Centre
- APN Industria REIT
- Nightingale Housing
- First Steps Childcare centres
James also regularly documents and advises on Agreement for Lease/Lease arrangements for both landlords and tenants. Examples of the tenancies involved in James’ recent matters include:
James has also more recently extensively advised clients around the COVID temporary relief measures.