Philip Diviny Partner
A highly regarded tax lawyer with a broad-based tax advisory, tax controversy and international tax practice, Philip works across a variety of industries, including property, infrastructure, agriculture, shipping, chemicals and health.
Recognised with Acquisition International “Best in Tax Audits – Australia” Award in both 2015 and 2016, Philip is a highly numerate lawyer also qualified as a Chartered Accountant and Chartered Tax Advisor. His expertise includes:
- Representing clients involved in ATO audits, including on transfer pricing, CGT and GST;
- Acting in Federal Court and Full Federal Court litigation against the ATO;
- Advising on all tax aspects of corporate transactions, including acquisitions, sales, restructures and demergers;
- Advising on the tax aspects of infrastructure projects and property developments;
- Applying for and obtaining private rulings;
- Acting for individual taxpayers in complex matters involving the ATO, including Project Wickenby and directors penalty notice issues; and
- Advising on tax-related professional negligence claims both for and against accountants and tax advisers.
Through his experience as a Chartered Accountant and Chartered Tax Adviser as well as lawyer, Philip has expertise in all facets of tax and is able to communicate complex ideas simply. Philip is a current member of the Advisory Panel to the Board of Taxation and a regular speaker and presenter. He is the former author of the Australian chapter for the publications “International Tax and Investment Service” and “International Taxation of Low Tax Transactions” published by the Center for International Legal Studies.