John is a client focused, solutions orientated Associate within the Litigation Practice.
With experience developed as a dispute and litigation lawyer for the Commissioner and Deputy Commissioners of Taxation, John brings hands on knowledge gained in managing complex insolvency and debt recovery proceedings together with a deep understanding of the mechanics of government agencies.
- Advised/appeared with respect to insolvency related claims including creditor’s petitions, defending applications to set aside a statutory demand, objecting to excessive remuneration claims, responding to annulment applications, and commencing recovery proceedings against corporate directors under section 588FGA of the Corporations Act 2001)
- Providing complex and reliable legal advice to internal ATO stakeholders on a broad range of legal issues including defending declaratory proceedings, providing insolvency opinions, and reviewing indemnity claims
- Drafted complex deeds of settlements at the conclusion of multiple insolvency and debt recovery proceedings
- Conducting multiple debt recovery proceedings in the County Court of Victoria
- Appeared for Commissioner of the Australian Taxation Office in the Federal Court to successfully wind-up companies
- Directly briefed counsel to defend or commence action on behalf of the Federal Commissioner of Taxation
- Conducted multiple bankrupt estate and corporate insolvency administrations
- Experience in assisting bankruptcy trustees and liquidators to obtain information from the ATO to aid in their investigations and recovery action
- Drafting complex deeds of settlement to facilitate annulments, settlement of creditor claims, and to obtain vacant possession of property for the purposes of realising real property for creditor dividends
- Interviewed associates of bankrupts under oath to identify asset dissipation strategies
- Undertaking complex cross-border asset tracing to locate offshore assets
- Providing strategic legal advice on annulment applications
John’s experience as a litigation and insolvency lawyer within the ATO and other state government departments has given him unique insight into approaching and managing litigation that involves government agencies.