Rick Goldberg Partner
A specialist with a reputation for his in-depth knowledge of superannuation and managed funds, Rick is an expert in addressing complex regulatory issues and corporate compliance whilst ensuring all avenues are investigated and the most appropriate commercial solution is reached.
With over 25 years of experience in corporate law, Rick’s niche knowledge and thorough assessment of his clients’ objectives allows him to ‘get the deal done’ with a minimum of fuss, whilst ensuring their interests are protected.
Rick’s key practice areas include mergers and acquisitions and capital raising, managed funds and public offer super, SMSFs and AFSL licensing, corporate governance and regulatory compliance whilst successfully navigating the area’s complex regulatory maze.
Rick’s clients include public and private companies, industry super funds, fund managers, corporate and investment advisors, accountants, and family-owned businesses across a broad range of industries.
Rick is a Madgwicks representative for Meritas, a global alliance of more than 180 law firms, and is involved with SMSF Association, the Association of Superannuation Funds of Australia and the Australian Institute of Superannuation Trustees
Key focus areas:
- Mergers & Acquisitions and Capital Raising
- Managed Funds & Public Offer Super
- AFSL Licencing, Corporate Governance & Regulatory Compliance
- Advising owners (three families) of a leading mobile app development company on a circa $60M sale to ASX-listed Melbourne IT.
- Advising an Australian fund manager on the ASX initial public offering of its stapled property trust investing in US residential housing, including roll-up acquisition of three unlisted vendor trusts, unitholder approval meetings and capital raising.
- Advising a New Zealand local government on a compulsory takeover of minority shareholders in a company governed by a UK Royal Charter.
- Advising one of Australia’s fastest growing privately owned property fund managers on the establishment of a unique type of registered managed investment scheme (an “Umbrella Fund”) created with and supported by a specific ASIC relief instrument.
- Advising a Chinese agribusiness group on the establishment of a stapled managed fund designed for Significant Investor Visa investors involved in Australian beef production and export (circa up to $100M).
- Advising ASX Aspen Group on forming Aspen Select Property Fund, a registered “fund to fund” scheme offering retail platform investors exposure to a suite of Aspen property funds.
- Advising various industry superannuation funds on their direct and structured investments, outsourcing including appointment of investment managers, group insurers, administrators and custodians; and their PDS disclosure and member reporting.
- Advising Australia’s largest SMSF administrator on its precedent trust deed and other SMSF governing rules precedent documents.