An expert in insolvency and difficult disputes, Angelo is an experienced insolvency, commercial litigation and corporate lawyer with a specialisation and expanded practice covering finance and risk mitigation and dispute management. Angelo has acted in a number of high-profile corporate collapses and is an experienced insolvency practitioner with a commercial outlook who takes a holistic approach in determining the best course of action.
Angelo’s client base includes financial institutions, credit funds, insolvency practitioners, creditors, lenders and large corporations. He regularly works with companies and individuals under financial strain to assess the options available and determine the most commercially successful outcome. An expert in helping clients to develop a strategy to deal with challenging situations and able to call on his broad network of external advisers, financiers and other professionals to create a team to tackle a problem. Recently, Angelo has assisted a number of clients in response to the Coronavirus pandemic including restructuring their affairs or negotiating with stakeholders such as landlords to achieve a commercial outcome.
Renowned for his skills in recovery and insolvency and commercial disputes, Angelo has built up a diverse knowledge and practice representing a number of high net individuals and prominent families, as well as large corporates in dealing with challenging financial problems. Angelo also regularly advises in relation to dealing with regulatory compliance and various regulatory bodies in connection with breaches of statute and duties.
Clients often engage Angelo to assist them in negotiating and advising on complex commercial transactions and disputes and he is known for finding novel solutions. Angelo has become a trusted advisor on many difficult dispute matters which were previously considered unsolvable.
Angelo has been recently engaged by multiple investors in recovering their investment in several prominent failed investment schemes.
Key recent matters:
- Assisted in advising the purchaser in relation to the Jeanswest voluntary administration.
- Advised a lender in relation to the liquidation of a builder on a large-scale apartment development and working with other parties to appoint a new builder.
- Assisted a 50% shareholder in a landowner of a significant building on the CBD fringe after his co-shareholder went missing and the lender to the building appointed receivers and managers. Angelo used his litigation skills to have his client take control of the entity, refinance and terminate the receivership.
- Acting for a significant shareholder in failed property investments seeking recovery of over $20M (ongoing).
- Assisting a client in an IBAC investigation and subsequent criminal proceeding.
- Acting for Vasco Trustees in relation to appointment of receivers and managers and provisional liquidators in relation to the IPO Wealth group of companies: Read judgment here.
- Acting for several groups of investors in multi-million dollar claims against trustee involving the iProsperity Group (ongoing).
- Acting for Plaintiffs in relation to appointment of provisional liquidator in connection with a failed investment scheme including obtaining freezing orders (ongoing): Supreme Court of Victoria Proceeding No. S ECI 2020 04338, In the matter of Dysin Investment Partners Pty Ltd (ACN 609 479 138), DIP Anthony Street Pty Ltd (ACN 620 408 353) and DIP Holdco Pty Ltd (ACN 609 390 570).