Firmly entrenched within her clients’ business and trusted deeply, Catherine is a Partner in the Madgwicks Litigation and Insolvency team and is an important advisor to businesses and individuals in obtaining successful outcomes.
Businesses rely on Catherine as a disputes specialist guiding them through complex litigation. This trusting relationship developed with her clients sees Catherine as an in-demand lawyer who understands the commercial realities of being involved in a dispute.
Working across a number of industries, Catherine specialises in business disputes, including defamation, contractual disputes, and trusts disputes. She is a versatile litigator adept at handling any challenge and is well respected for her ability to work across a number of areas and industries. Catherine works closely with Not-for-profits in assisting them run a successful enterprise.
Catherine also advises on personal and corporate insolvency including complex restructuring matters.
Client focused and a regular author and presenter, Catherine regularly advises on defamation, partnership, shareholder and contractual disputes, misleading and deceptive conduct claims, compulsory acquisition, PPSR, and reinstatement of companies. She regularly works with Counsel and appears on behalf of clients in proceedings in all Victorian State and Federal Courts.
Catherine has been interviewed as an legal expert multiple times on ABC Radio National and has been published by publications such as Smart Company, Industry Insider Magazine, Association of Corporate Counsel and Australia Property Journal.
Catherine was recently recognised by Mondaq in their global Arbitration & Dispute Resolution Autumn 2023 Thought Leadership Award.
- Providing advice regarding submissions to Banking Royal Commission.
- Successfully negotiating a settlement for an executive against a large multinational company.
- Acting for a family defamed by a newspaper (in print and online) to obtain a successful settlement offer and public apology from the newspaper.
- Acting for well-known companies in disputes with their franchisees and negotiating successful outcomes for the franchisors.
- Successfully acting in a commercial arbitration regarding grain trade.
- Acting for a defendant in a large misleading and deceptive conduct claim after a sale of business – winning the Court proceedings.
- Acting in a number of significant partnership disputes and negotiating a successful outcome for the client in each case.
- Advising and guiding various business people through personal insolvency and coming to very favourable arrangements with creditors.
- Acting for liquidators in many public examinations of high profile company directors.
- Strategically prosecuting and defending unfair preference claims.
"Madgwicks Lawyers, not too big, not to small, they're just right. Catherine Ballantyne has been our solicitor for over five years and has achieved very good commercial outcomes for our business on many matters. Highly recommended"
- Leon D., Funds Recovery Business Owner.
"Catherine helped me in a difficult dispute. This problem took me into some areas and issues that I haven't dealt with in my business before, and the first thing I appreciated about her was that she listened to me and could provide some reassurance that I was on the right track.
Catherine was able to put things in the perspective of what my business needed and was clear about the risks. The fees and processes were made transparently clear which removed a lot of the uncertainty for me - I knew beforehand what it was going to cost even with the expected back and forward required between parties.
Catherine stayed professional throughout what was at times a hostile negotiation which ultimately helped keep the process going to a successful resolution.
I want other business owners to be able to benefit from having her on their side. I recommend Catherine to any other business that wants transparent, professional advice with realistic costs - we greatly benefited from having her on our side and it's my belief that other businesses will benefit too."
- Andrew P., Educational Services Business Owner.
"I have worked closely with Catherine Ballantyne since 2011 when we started a large insolvency job involving many complex issues.
During the ensuing years I have gone back to Catherine on a number of insolvency and related matters and she has always provided sensible, commercial advice - plus she has an excellent team of support and expertise across many facets of the business landscape.
Plus, Catherine is a genuinely nice person who I can enjoy a smile and laugh with!"
- Michael R., Business Owner.
In the media
Catherine Ballantyne provides some insights on defamation as it applies to business owners with Alice Ruhe, insolvency and corporate recovery accounting specialist.
Catherine Ballantyne give some insights on how she best utilises alternative dispute resolution in arriving at an agreement in business and commercial disputes.
Catherine Ballantyne speaks with the ABC's Damien Carrick about the legal and financial challenges ahead for business with restrictions easing and some borders opening up.
Catherine Ballantyne speaks with the ABC's Damien Carrick. As business reels from the impact of the coronavirus, lawyers are poring over contracts, looking for ways to help their clients either enforce, or escape from their contractual obligations.
Catherine Ballantyne speaks with the ABC's Damien Carrick about the case of the landlord who was owed $7000 in unpaid rent on a small factory who, in retaliation, kept his tenant's property and equipment.